Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's Official..

It is official - I am confirmed as being hypoglycemic. The funny thing is that the two hour test usually isn't enough to confirm it as most people find that their reactive hypoglycemia takes longer to "kick in" - so often you have to go for the five hour test. But my doctor said that I'm pretty severe and so it totally was revealed through the two hour test. She said the usual stuff which I already knew - the small meal thing, watch simple carbs and of course, keep candies or juice around in the purse etc. All the stuff which I've read incessantly already. I just wanted it confirmed (I pretty much diagnosed it myself but wanted to medically confirm it before I put it into my MedicAlert information).

But I wonder how many people out there have it and don't know it? I see it all the time, post wls'ers complaining that some time certain foods make them tired and grumpy etc, etc. I'm going to make it my mission now in the wls community to make sure that people know about it as many don't seem to know. Thank goodness I have a diabetic husband around with a blood sugar monitor so that I could have found out what it was the first day I had a reaction. How many people wait and wait? I went down to 1.1 which could have easily have made me pass out or had a seizure. How many people will not know and have to deal with THAT? I knew of reactive hypoglycemia before I got it - how many people don't know? That's what I find is scary.

Running a support group that has probably hundreds of members by now, I have seen people with various levels of understanding and education on weight loss surgery. I hate to say it but there are a frightening amount of uneducated people. So I think this will be a story for me to tell at an upcoming meeting. It will be my story to tell and educate people.

Dawn

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this Dawn! I think of it as a lucky thing (though that may sound weird)that I was diabetic pre surgery. This way I know the signs to look for, what to do for it, and I still test regularily to keep an eye on things.

James Marsters said...

I am fond of above written piece of writing so much, seeing that it's true that we will identify the facts given to us.
____________
Adipex

Unknown said...

It's realy bad that most of people even don't guess that they have problems with their health. Dawn, I wish you good luck. I'm sorry you have to face such a problem.